Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Week 3: February 2-6, 2009

In the third week of the semester, we as girls became close. Our communication class with Vincent has helped us get to know each other even better on a different level and out of our comfort zone. For example, during the time when we were still getting to know each other, Vincent had us do exercises where partners had to learn and then tell stories about each other.
In other classwork, Molly helped us understand the economic and social development of the Caribbean and the important aspects of the cultural imprint of colonialism. As we get deeper into reading In the Time of the Butterflies, we’re anxious to know what happens next and know more about the Mirabal sisters and their personalities. We're still trying to understand Oceanography with Ann yet we are so excited to learn about the water quality, tides, and more. Our time with Coach Ann and swimming with Molly continues its course and we believe it’s working its way to get us in shape for our departure day.
Overall Tall Ships is very challenging for me because I came from a school that is project-based. There, we do not have homework and have fewer hours at school. That did not prepare me for a program like Tall Ships. Now, coming to Tall Ships I have homework every day and the school days are much longer. Also I have to participate in book discussions and stay on top of all my work. Being organized is something I didn’t have to do at my old school. However, making it to school on time is some work in progress.
By Cathy Ortega

No comments:

Post a Comment