Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week 4: February 9-13, 2009

Four Weeks Down, Four Weeks To Go

We finally made it to the half way point. I cannot believe there is only four more weeks until we leave on our amazing voyage. At this point I feel more comfortable with the girls. Some of us have even given each other nicknames. But I still think I need to reach out and get to know a couple girls. Well this week we also had our first progress report check-ins. It was better than what I was expecting. Growing up, progress reports were something I was scared of. It was different here at Tall Ships though it was an actual conversation back and forth rather than just Molly and Ann telling me right from wrong. They made me feel very good about myself, and I could tell they care because they asked how I was feeling and asked my opinion on the Progress Report.

This week we also met Caitlin Schwartzman, the founder of Tall Ships Education Academy. She is also an artist and a full time mother. She shared her story about how she began sailing. I could really tell how passionate she is about sailing from the way she spoke about it. She showed us some of her pictures from other sailing voyages. She also gave us some very creative pointers and ideas on how to take pictures while we are on our voyage. One that stood out to me was the one where she said to try to capture a silhouette. The ones that she showed me looked very pleasant.

After this week all I can think of is that we are do close to leaving but I am so excited and afraid at the same time but I sure know one thing I will not miss it for anything.

Iris Galvan

No comments:

Post a Comment