Saturday, March 14, 2009

Week 8: March 9-13, 2009

This was our last week at SF State! All the girls had mixed feelings of excitement and anxiety for we realized we are going to be leaving soon. We began to count down the days of our departure. It felt like things were going too slow and we wanted to leave already but also felt like things were moving too fast and we didn't want to lift our feet off the ground. Monday was like any normal day at State. We had our classes: first Leadership, then History, Lunch, Oceanography and Navigation. Tuesday was yet another long day but when we reached Wednesday it began to lighten up. We went small boat sailing once again and worked on our presentations that we will give to the crew and schools we will visit. That was when a big conflict rose.

While we were suppose to come up with two good presentations, some people began to get off task while others formed a smaller group where they came up with the presentation. I was one of those people who had no involvement in the assignment until Kayla told us that we should help with this and pay attention. We decided to became part of the working group. While some of the girls expressed their ideas, I felt like mine wasn't respected by the others and no one even wanted my help. Hurt & frustrated, I walked out with two girls and as we were called back in, everyone formed a circle to talk it out. I explained how I felt that I was targeted for being off task but when I tried to join in, I didn't feel I was wanted for the discussion. It hurt even more, how I was told that I should be quiet so others could talk. At the end, the group was able to talk everything out including the misunderstandings. We ended with a group hug.
I believe every single girl here has a strong personality and attitude but I hope in the future we will learn from this experience and no unkind words will be said. We will all be able to work through problems in a respectful and open minded way. This is going to be most useful for when we step on the boat and HAVE to be able to work together.

Thursday was our last day at SF State and we took it all in. Our last session of Bootcamp, our last real day of regular classes including Vincent :-(. We had a cake for Marcella and Elissia's birthday which Ann accidently dropped on the floor. Haha. Our last day was sort of a sad but an exhilarating change that none of us, even by packing, could prepare for. However, we do have each other and that, most importantly, will prepare us for anything.

Sara Cortes

No comments:

Post a Comment