Thursday, April 30, 2009

April 29, 2009

Arriving in Fernindina Beach, Florida once again was a bittersweet feeling. The sailing was over. No longer more did we have to lift the anchor burton, haul up the sails and get ready to proceed on our next adventure. And for someone who had a hard time adjusting to life as a sailor, I wasn't sure I was ready to leave my home of six weeks. I learned to enjoy the different hues of the blue sea, watching the stars & meteors at night and just living with everyone. No longer would we all be together at meals joking or Julia coming to wake me up saying, "Ro po pope, get up up up!!".

On our last day being on the ship we all did quick chores, ate a bowl of cereal and finished packing. It was sad to say goodbye to all the crew. Some of the girls and I cried as we hugged our shipmates for the last time. Reaching the airport and boarding the plane was not so joyful as I had expected it to be.

We arrived in SFO airport later on that night. We couldn't believe we had made it this far and the realization hit us hard that we were back home. We got off the airplane, took a quick restroom break and anxiously headed to the gates. In the crammed airport we all searched for our loved ones making our group size decrease. It was weird when I turned to see my mom and brother standing there waiting for me. I ran into their arms as my dad and other brother came to hug me too. We laughed, talked a lot and they thoughtfully gave me the gifts of a bag of hot cheetos w/ lime and a starbucks coffee.

Driving into the city and reaching home felt like a whole other place. My home had changed. Rooms were painted and mine had been redecorated. It was overwhelming being back and sort of gloomy when my own dog wouldn't come to me anymore. Instead he barked & growled at me but eventually he came around. Even taking a shower added to my new sensitive sadness. We weren't on the ship anymore!

I can see why Molly had us all meet on the Alma the following afternoon. Being together again felt normal except for a couple of girls who unfortunately couldn't make it. It was my birthday so we celebrated by sailing the Alma on the murky San Francisco Bay and having cupcakes & hot cheetos. It was very relaxing & calming to hang out with the girls and Ann & Molly. The crew was nice as well to have us accompany them. The girls all talked about how even at home we would wake up and stress that we were late for anchor watch or that we were using sailor vocabulary.

After having that get together, everything seemed to settle. Yes we weren't on the ship any more and would have to adjust being back home, but we knew things would be fine. The time spent in the Caribbean was a journey that was done but we still had our memories to hold onto.

Sara Rovai-Cortes

No comments:

Post a Comment